Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Hike at Sulphur Creek

On Baby C's actual birthday, we took a class at Sulphur Creek through HARD. We've taken a few classes there, but this "Fruit Pickers"class was a longer class and included a hike (which I was not prepared for). We started the class with meeting some fruit-loving animals: a box turtle, an opossum, and two guinea pigs. I love this program because its very hands on. Baby C loves to see all the animals up close and personal too. The lady conducting the class is very good at explaining things and connecting with the kids.

Box turtle: Did you know that this is the only turtle that can bend it's bottom shell up to cover its head? Ya learn something new every day!!!


Bringing the opossum around - no petting this one!


Opossum up close - poor guy was a rescue, he got hit by a car and is completely blind, he now lives at the Sulphur Creek nature Center and gets extra TLC.

Two guinea pigs, they are buddies and always stuck together - real cute.

After we met the animals, we went on a hike to pick berries and plums for them. the trail was quite steep and narrow at times and Baby C was 4 people/kids ahead of me, and I had a sleeping Baby B in the Bjorn.


LUCKILY, there was another mom that was hiking right behind Baby C and grabbed her hand (or maybe Baby C grabbed hers) when the path got steep and narrow. At that point, I could not reach her because the path was too narrow to pass.

We had to climb up the uneven and steep "stairs" The lady in the black top and patterned skirt was my savior! - she held Baby C's hand at the steep and narrow parts!

At this point, I was seriously getting nervous, (see Baby C up ahead on the ridge already, in front of the lady in the black top and skirt). This was the last picture I took of the hike, I decided the responsible thing to do was to put my camera away and pay attention to where I was stepping!

Oh my! I was seriously having a heart attack...images of Baby C tripping, falling, and rolling down the hill and cracking her head open on her 3rd birthday!....and me, with my flip flops and sleeping baby in the Bjorn, how was I going to rescue her?! Anyways, we all survived the hike without incident, thank goodness!

After the hike, we fed the berries and plums we picked for our little animal friends, and then sat down to do a craft.

Other than those nervous hike moments, we all had a great time. I can't wait for our next Sulphur Creek class - they have their toddler time and these special classes about once a month each. We are registered for the rest of the summer and will definitely register for more in the fall! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment